Following 18 months after Infidels, nothing about the making of this record – the recording process, the sound, the songs, or even the cover art – suggested that Dylan was on solid footing. The times were a-changin’ again.
Yet the music did impress some: Rolling Stone asked: “Is Dylan “back”? Again? One is tempted to trumpet some such tidings. …Empire Burlesque is nothing as straightforward as a simple return to rock & roll form for Dylan.”
In this episode we look at the first proper release in our focus years of 1984-1988, talking with music writer Jim Beviglia about Empire Burlesque and each of the songs it contains.
** The Extended Version of this Episode is 55 Minutes long and available to FM+ Subscribers **
Jim writes about music for American Songwriter, Culture Sonar, and has written a series of books called Counting Down Their 100 Finest Songs with editions on Dylan, Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, and many others. A post on the website CountDown Kid led us to talk to Jim about this record.
To listen to the Extended and Bonus Episodes of our shows you can either:
- Subscribe to FM+ : Click the subscribe button in Apple Podcasts or sign up here. (One subscription covers all our network podcasts for one low price ! )
- Join FM Premium: Get an FM+ Subscription plus video interviews, blog posts, a weekly bonus email and more.
PLAYLIST: Empire Of The Loaded Groove – The Best of Bob Dylan’s 1984-1988
We’re a proud member of The FM Podcast Network
- The Dylan.FM Website
- PodDylan – celebrating the work of Bob Dylan one song at a time.
- The Dylantantes – interviews and discussions with Bob Dylan thinkers.
- The Bob Dylan Primer – a start to finish introduction to Dylan’s career.
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS?
Drop us a note at [email protected].