Time Out Of Mind followed 20 years in which Dylan was not always loved. In this episode we look at his career from 1977 through 1996 to understand where he was and to highlight how remarkable a comeback this album really was. We’ll revisit the less successful years and see how his relationship with fans, the press, and the culture had changed, and how it was impacted by the release of Time Out Of Mind.
We’ve lived for 25 years in which Dylan is universally revered – and the other period we hear about is the 60’s and early 70’s, when he was at the peak of his power and fame. This episode talks about the time between those two, when Dylan was out of favor, out of ideas, and low on energy. It was the land before TOOM.
- Subscribe to FM+ in the Apple Podcasts app (click the subscribe button on our show page) or at the FM Pods website. For $4.99/mo you’ll get Extended Editions and Bonus Episodes of all podcasts on the network for one low price. And you’ll be supporting our work and making all of these shows possible!
- Join The FM Club and get an FM+ Subscription plus way more Dylan and music info via our video interviews, blog posts, events and much more. Learn more and sign up here.
Dylan.FM is a podcast that good deep into specific Bob Dylan albums or periods – for months at a time. There are also some ‘special subject’ podcasts along the way. The show has featured Time Out Of Mind Engineers Mark Howard (1992 Mix) and Michael Brauer (2022 Mix), Authors Micheal Gray, Graley Herren, Howard Sounes and others, Musicians Robyn Hitchcock, Wesley Stace and others, and Dylanologists including Scott Warmuth, Laura Tenschert, and many more. Member of The FM Podcasts Network.
- Visit Dylan.FM to see all episodes or to follow the show in your favorite podcast app.
Get Our Weekly Bob Dylan Newsletter
Every week we collect and organize all the latest Bob Dylan News and Links, including new releases, reviews, concerts, podcasts, books, and share then in an organized list. Stay up-to-date on everything in the world of Bob Dylan.
FM Podcast Network
This podcast is a proud member of The FM Podcast Network, along with these other fine shows:
- PodDylan – celebrating the work of Bob Dylan one song at a time.
- The Dylantantes – interviews and discussions with Bob Dylan thinkers.
- The Bob Dylan Primer – a start to finish introduction to Dylan’s career.
- Get details and see the latest from all of our shows.
Questions or Comments?
Drop us a note to [email protected].